This article will discuss some of the simple and effective home remedies for dry cough and cough with phlegm.
Cough is the most common symptom associated with upper respiratory tract infection. Coughing is the action by which your body throws out the excess mucus. Cough is the natural defence mechanism as well as a warning sign of several respiratory diseases. It may be of two types: productive cough which produces phlegm from your lung and the other is non-productive or dry cough which doesn’t produce phlegm. Cough can be acute or chronic. Acute or short-lived cough can last for a few days and subside mostly within 3 weeks. Chronic cough can continue for more than 8 weeks that can lead to sleep disturbance, cough syncope and work absenteeism.
Causes of Cough
Cough may be caused due to
- Viral infections of the upper respiratory tract
- Congestion of the bronchial pipe with waste matter
- Inflammation of the larynx or pharynx
- Change in weather or seasonal change
- Being overclothed during winter prevents proper aeration of the skin
Home Remedies for Cough
Whether it is summer or winter, cough can catches you anytime. It can cause sore throat, pain and swelling. Everyone wants to know about cough medicine. People seek cough tablets or good home remedies for cough. If you are also troubled by cough, and looking for some effective home remedies before taking any medicine or cough syrup, here are some of the simple and effective home remedies that you can try.
Home Remedies for Cough with Phlegm
- For cough with phlegm or productive cough mix ¼ teaspoon of black pepper powder with 1 teaspoon of honey after food. The warming quality of black pepper helps relieve congestion and acts as an expectorant. Take 2-3 times per day for 3 to 5 days.
- A sauce prepared from raisin is also helpful in cough with mucus. Grind 100gm of raisin with water. Add 100 gm of sugar in it and boil to make a sauce-like consistency. Preserve the mixture and take 20gm daily before going to bed.
- A tea made from ½ teaspoon ginger powder with a pinch of clove and cinnamon powder can give you relief from a productive cough. It acts as an expectorant.
- Grapes are one of the best home remedies for a productive cough. It relieves congestion and drives out the cough in a couple of days. Drink a cup of grape juice added with 1 teaspoon of honey.
- If your cough continues for a long time try this formulation: Mix ½ teaspoon ground mustard and ½ teaspoon ginger powder with 1 teaspoon honey. Consume this slowly 2-3 times daily till the cough persists. Ginger relieves congestion while mustard has a warming action.
- The herb Beleric Myrobalan (bahera) is an excellent household remedy for cough. Mix 2gms pulp of the fruit, ¼ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon long pepper, and 2 teaspoon honey. Take this mixture twice daily.
- Add ½ teaspoon of red pepper, ¼ teaspoon of ginger powder, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon of honey in 2 tablespoons of normal water and make a paste. Take this formulation once daily.
- Chew some basil leaves with black pepper. It will give you instant relief and treat cough quickly.
Add half a teaspoon of honey to a pinch of cardamom and some lemon juice. Take this mixture two to three times a day. This home remedy can prove to be a panacea for cough.
- Garlic is also effective in relieving productive cough. Roast 2-3 cloves of garlic in ghee and eat it hot.
- Onion mixed with honey also gives you relief from a productive cough. Extract onion juice from the chopped raw onion. Mix 1 teaspoon of the juice with 1 teaspoon of honey and keep it for 4-5 hours- it will make an excellent cough syrup. Take this twice daily. Onions are beneficial in removing phlegm.
- Another method to use onion is to crush a medium-sized onion, add the juice of one lemon, one cup of boiling water and 1 teaspoon of honey. Take this mixture 2-3 times daily.
- Pomegranate juice also gives relief from cough. Drink ½ cup of juice with a pinch of ginger powder and a pinch of pippali powder. This is an excellent remedy for a child’s cough.
- For chronic cough make a mixture of 4 teaspoon garlic powder with 1 teaspoon trikatu powder. Add a little honey. Take this mixture twice daily.
Home Remedies for Dry Cough
- To relieve dry cough boil 1 cup of milk with ½ teaspoon turmeric powder and ½ teaspoon ginger powder (Sunthi) or fresh ginger juice to make golden yellow milk. Drink this at night before bed. It will ease the irritation in the throat.
- For dry cough chew ¼ teaspoon of ajwain mixed with 1 teaspoon of organic sugar.
- For dry cough or cough without much mucus eat a ripe banana with 1 teaspoon honey and 2 pinches of black pepper. Eat this 2-3 times a day.
- Talisadi tea is quite effective in dry cough. Make the tea with ½ teaspoon talisadi powder and ½ teaspoon of liquorice powder with a little honey added. Drink it twice daily.
Almonds are beneficial in dry cough. Soak 6-7 kernels in water overnight. Take out from the water in the morning and remove the brown skin. Make a fine paste out of it, add some butter and sugar, take it daily in the morning and evening for 3-5 days.
- Aniseed is another effective home remedy for hard dry cough with difficult expectoration. It breaks up the mucus. Make a tea with aniseed, add 1 teaspoon honey and drink regularly for treating this condition. You can also add some basil leaves during making the tea.
- The root of turmeric is useful in a dry cough. Roast some pieces of turmeric root and grind it to make a powder. Take 3gms of this powder twice daily in the morning and evening.
- Gargle with warm spinach juice. It is helpful in curing dry cough.
- Cuscus grass (khas khas) is another useful home remedies for dry cough. Mix ½ teaspoon of the grass with 3-4 teaspoon of coconut milk, add 1 teaspoon of honey and drink before going to bed.
Other Measures for Cough
- Gargle with hot water adding a pinch of salt. This is an effective home remedy for cough. It will give you relief from throat pain caused by cough.
- Amla is considered very effective for cough. Amla has vitamin C and a rich source of antioxidants. It can improve your blood circulation as well as strengthen your immunity.
- If you are suffering from a cough then drink hot water. This will help reduce frozen phlegm in your throat.
- You should avoid coffee, refined and processed foods, pickle, candies, ice cream, and soft drinks. Follow a well-balanced diet with emphasis on wholegrain cereals, lightly cooked vegetables and fresh fruits.
The basic strategy of treating cough is to reduce the congestion and irritation of the bronchial mucus membrane. To treat cough most effectively you should know better whether you are suffering from a dry cough or productive cough with mucus coming out. However, if your cough continues for more than a week, you should see a doctor.
- Mini Encyclopaedia of Home Remedies; Sanjay Khatri
- Natuarl Home Remedies for Common Ailments; H.K Bakhru
- The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Reemedies; Vasant Lad
- Home remedies; Vikas Khatri